DUCTU OFFERS change leadership
increasing business agility
in the ever-changing world
despite all the methods and tools available
need for a Fundamentally different way of thinking
"...slight changes in structure almost always cause vast changes in behaviour."
Stuart Kauffman, visionary pioneer of the new science of complexity
More is different
"...at each level of complexity entirely new properties appear, and the understanding of the new behaviours requires research..."
Philip Warren Anderson, More Is Different
Thriving in an ever-changing environment, which is the aim of business agility, combines the core capabilities;
- From team flow to enterprise flow,
- From collaboration in teams to networked collaboration, and
- From individual learning to organisational learning.
A different way of thinking about, and doing business, the agile way at all levels and all functions.
change is different
It is all about the (agile) mindset, one will say!
But a mindset cannot be installed, it grows.
Beyond aligned autonomy
The general accepted change approach puts people in a position of a double bind*; like "Be autonomous" with this (imposed) framework, please comply!
Aligned autonomy starts within organisation's teams and management thinking. Internal evolution is bootstrapped by
- Engaging the thinking by means of experience (e.g. simulation) and reflection, and
- Triggering new behaviours through interaction between peers.
This way the change pushes boundaries enterprise-wide and bridges between local initiatives gradually.
* A double bind is an emotionally distressing dilemma. This creates a situation in which a successful response to one message results in a failed response to the other (and vice versa). The double bind occurs when the person (or group) cannot confront the inherent dilemma, and therefore can neither resolve it nor opt out of the situation.
"...concepts about the world are culturally embedded: they don’t make sense in isolation."
Alan Fiske, anthropology at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Retention; growing autonomous behaviour where peers, teams and units keep improving when tensions are encountered, and
- Referral; growing viral engagement of other peers, teams and units
DUCTU offers change leadership services
uniqueness - Nurture PROFOUND CHANGE
“...if you want to get people to coordinate or change their behaviour, you have to first and foremost deal with the existing web of relationships, rather than treat people as isolated individuals.”
Alex Pentland, Social Physics: How good ideas spread
Manage the delay!
"Don't push change, remove the factors limiting growth."
Peter Senge, the fifth discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization
The delay between acting and observing the results creates tensions (e.g. polarity, discouragement, disorder and time pressure).
The common thinking model causes blindness to the existence of this delay.
Every unresolved tension hinders building a shared understanding, thus becoming a seed of future failure.
Create a network for change
Successful change is based on a healthy network of peers that influence each other in a positive way.
Genuine Engagement of people can be measured as a network effect; vitality and retention.
But, who moves first?
Peers trigger new behaviours of peers. Peers can challenge , offer experience, give reasons and arguments that sometimes trigger new intuitions.
In order to develop new intuitions one needs to experience and engage in new thinking. Initially Simulation, sharing experiences and observing action can trigger new behaviours. These are catalysts solving the bootstrapping problem; 'who moves first?'.
"Intuitions come first, strategic reasoning second"
Jonathan Haidt, the righteous mind
"When we attribute behaviour to personality, we lose sight of how the structure of the system shaped our choices."
John D. Sterman, MIT, Influencing structures and beliefs
Offer guidance on
- Engaging people, by bringing together their rational and their intuitive thinking, giving them a new experience to influence their mindset,
- Growing communities, by stimulating and fostering discussions around the thinking models, encouraging feedback, creativity, empathy, transparency and truthfulness,
- Nurturing profound change, and
- bootstrapping the change by triggering new behaviours.
Inspired by OKALOA© Flowlab
Okaloa Flowlab is a simulation toolkit that lets people experience flow, collaboration and learning as corner stones for business agility.
The deeper insight into how and why agile works is the pre-requisite for business agility and the agile organisation.