Change is a constant
DUCTU helps organisationsincrease their business agility
in the ever-changing world
organizations cannot keep pace,
despite all the methods and tools available
"...slight changes in structure almost always cause vast changes in behaviour."
Stuart Kauffman, visionary pioneer of the new science of complexity
need for a Fundamentally different way of thinking
More is different
"...at each level of complexity entirely new properties appear, and the understanding of the new behaviours requires research..."
Philip Warren Anderson, More Is Different
Thriving in an ever-changing environment, which is the aim of business agility, combines the core capabilities;
- From team flow to enterprise flow,
- From collaboration in teams to networked collaboration, and
- From individual learning to organisational learning.
A different way of thinking about, and doing business, the agile way at all levels and all functions.
change is different
It is all about the (agile) mindset, one will say!
But a mindset cannot be installed, it needs to be nurtured.
Autonomy and alignment
Instead of installing practices through a big push (which is the generally accepted approach) based on method selection and plan execution, this change approach aims at increasing business agility, autonomously and aligned.
It starts within the organisation's teams
- Engaging the thinking by means of catalytic bootstrapping (e.g. using simulation), and
- By triggering new behaviours through interaction between peers.
This way the change pushes boundaries enterprise-wide and bridges between local initiatives gradually.
"...concepts about the world are culturally embedded: they don’t make sense in isolation."
Alan Fiske, anthropology at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Retention; increasing autonomous behaviour where peers, teams and units keep improving when tensions are encountered, and
- Referral; increasing viral engagement of other peers, teams and units
DUCTU offers change leadership services
uniqueness - Nurture PROFOUND CHANGE
“...if you want to get people to coordinate or change their behaviour, you have to first and foremost deal with the existing web of relationships, rather than treat people as isolated individuals.”
Alex Pentland, Social Physics: How good ideas spread
Manage the delay!
"Don't push change, remove the factors limiting growth."
Peter Senge, the fifth discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization
The delay between acting and observing the results creates tensions (e.g. polarity, discouragement, disorder and time pressure).
The common thinking model causes blindness to the existence of this delay.
Every unresolved tension hinders building a shared understanding, thus becoming a seed of future failure.
Create a network for change
Successful change is based on a healthy network of peers that influence each other in a positive way.
Genuine Engagement of people can be measured as a network effect; vitality and retention.
But, who moves first?
Peers trigger new behaviours of peers. Peers can challenge , offer experience, give reasons and arguments that sometimes trigger new intuitions.
In order to develop new intuitions one needs to experience and engage in new thinking. Initially Simulation, sharing experiences and observing action can trigger new behaviours. These are catalysts solving the bootstrapping problem; 'who moves first?'.
"Intuitions come first, strategic reasoning second"
Jonathan Haidt, the righteous mind
"When we attribute behaviour to personality, we lose sight of how the structure of the system shaped our choices."
John D. Sterman, MIT, Influencing structures and beliefs
Offer guidance on
- Engaging people, by bringing together their rational and their intuitive thinking, giving them a new experience to influence their mindset,
- Growing communities, by stimulating and fostering discussions around the thinking models, encouraging feedback, creativity, empathy, transparency and truthfulness,
- Nurturing profound change, and
- bootstrapping the change by triggering new behaviours.
Inspired by OKALOA© Flowlab
Okaloa Flowlab is a simulation toolkit that lets people experience flow, collaboration and learning as corner stones for business agility.
The deeper insight into how and why agile works is the pre-requisite for business agility and the agile organisation.